It is a walnut sized gland located in front of the rectum and under the bladder. It produces a thick clear fluid that protects and nourishes the sperm.
What is Prostate screening?
This is testing normal men or early stages of prostate disease before the symptoms and signs of a disease are obviously manifest. This is done by:-
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) blood test
- Digital Rectal Exam (DRE)
- Trans rectal Ultrasound
- Prostate Biopsy
What is Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) ?
BPH is a common, noncancerous enlargement of the prostate gland. The enlarged prostate may compress the urinary tube (urethra), which courses through the center of the prostate, impeding the flow of urine from the bladder through the urethra to the outside.
What is Prostate cancer?
It is a malignant tumor due to uncontrolled abnormal multiplication of the prostate cells.
What are the symptoms of Prostate cancer?
- weak or interrupted flow of the urine
- frequent urination (especially at night)
- difficulty starting urination
- inability to urinate
- pain or burning sensation when urinating
- blood in the urine
- persistent pain in lower back, hips, or thighs (bone pain)
- painful ejaculation
How is prostate cancer treated?
Through chemotherapy, radiotherapy or surgical removal of the gland.