GIT screening allows for:-
- Early detection of inflammation, ulcers, or tumors.
- Early diagnosis of cancer and determining whether a growth is benign (not cancerous) or malignant (cancerous).
- Biopsies to be obtained which helps in the diagnosis of cancers or inflammatory lesions.
- Small instruments to be passed through the endoscope that can stretch narrowed areas (strictures), or remove swallowed objects (such as coins or pins).
- Bleeding from ulcers or vessels to be treated by a number of endoscopic techniques.
- Endoscopic removal of early tumors of the esophagus or stomach.